I listened to a Podcast recently featuring the author of The Power of Food, Adam Hart. Adam Hart talked about his transformative relationship with food and how he began to reclaim his energy (and his life) by making minor changes. I was both surprised and interested to hear that he accredited his transformation to one main superfood; hemp seeds.
I’d sprinkled hemp seeds on my breakfast from time to time but I certainly never looked at these tiny and costly seeds as the answer to my energy problems. Adam Hart explains that before we can think clearly, see clearly, or attain our goals, we have to stabilize our blood sugar.
The Importance of Balancing Blood Sugar
Upon further research, I discovered a few important things about balancing blood sugar and why it is vital.
- As soon as your blood sugar is destabilized the body turns off its healing mechanisms and spends its energy bringing your body back to homeostasis
- Sugar is a major stressor on the body and can sabotage healing
- Sugar can flush out the minerals that you are trying to put into balance through nutritional therapy and detoxification protocols
- Your body needs to be in parasympathetic mode (rest and digest mode) to properly break down food and use the minerals and nutrients (this cannot happen properly when you’re on a blood sugar roller coaster)
Signs that Your Blood Sugar is Off Balance
- Waking up frequently during the night
- Sugar cravings in afternoon
- Coffee cravings in afternoon
- Fatigue in afternoon
- Trouble concentrating
- Headaches, irritability, and shakiness for skipped meals
- Frequent thirst
- Imbalanced calcium/ magnesium ratio (blood sugar ratio)
Hemp Seeds: The Underrated Superfood
Hemp seeds are the most nutritious seeds in the world. These seeds have the most concentrated balance of proteins, essential fats, vitamins and enzymes. Raw hemp provides a broad spectrum of health benefits, including:
- Weight loss
- Increased and sustained energy
- Rapid recovery from disease or injury
- Lowered cholesterol and blood pressure
- Reduced inflammation
- Improvement in circulation and immune system
- Natural blood sugar control
Adam Hart recommends that every person add at least 4 tablespoons of hemp seeds to their diet every day. This routine can increase satiety, stabilize blood sugars, and leave you full of energy.
Take the Hemp Seed Challenge!
Introduce hemp seeds or hemp hearts to your everyday diet. After consuming 4 tablespoons of hemp seeds a day, take notice of how you feel. Journal your changes and begin to pay attention to your sugar intake. As you reduce your sugar and increase your superfood consumption, watch your brain and body transform. Take the challenge.